Brand Tilly And The Buttons
POSSIBLY THE EASIEST SEWING PATTERN IN THE WORLD!
Sew your own Dominique skirts - the ideal project for a novice stitcher, or a satisfying one hour make for more experienced dressmakers.
We designed the straight skirt to be super simple for beginners. It features straight seams to practise your stitching and an elasticated waistband for an easy fit - with no fiddly zips or buttonholes! Choose from knee length or above-the-knee hemline, and add the optional turnover top patch pockets.
The flared version of the skirt is slightly more challenging, as it's cut on the bias and we suggest a drapier fabric for a flowing silhouette. Choose from knee length or on-trend midi hemline, with optional turnover top pockets, belt loops and elegant sash.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Dominique includes instructions in plain English, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to
say you made yourself.
PRINTED PATTERN - You’ll receive a gorgeous printed package in the post containing full scale pattern sheets and a colour instruction booklet. SKILL LEVEL - Beginners
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS - Straight skirt – Medium-weight woven fabrics, such as cotton, chambray, double gauze, linen, lighter weight denim and needlecord. Flared skirt – Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics, such as cotton lawn, chambray, viscose (rayon), silk or polyester crêpe de chine. Avoid anything slippery if you’re a beginner!
- Fabric - Straight skirt: 1.1m (1 ¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 1.5m (1 5/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide; Flared midi skirt with sash: 2.5m (2 3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 3.1m
- (3½ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide (less for knee-length version, extra for fabric with a directional print)
- Matching thread
- Your waist measurement in 25mm (1in) wide elastic
- Large safety pin
- For optional belt loops: 14cm (5 1/2in) of 4-7mm (1/8-3/8in) wide ribbon or two elasticated hairbands
- Sewing machine and basic tools